Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Prefab Sprout - A Life of Surprises [The Best of]




This is a little band I've been absolutely in love with for the past couple months.
Their discography is so solid that I really had trouble putting just one album up, so I just decided to go with their first "Best of..." collection. It's very 80s jazz-pop, with genius phrasing, lyricism, and composition. Some of the word choices and chord changes in these songs will blow your mind. One of the most progressive and interesting pop bands to ever exist in my opinion. It's a shame they never got really big outside of the UK.

The only track I didn't really like on this collection is Faron Young.
I feel as though Paddy McAloon (the principal songwriter) is really reaching to do his whole "quirky and yet deep" thing. If were the editor of this collection, I would have replaced "Faron Young" with another (imo superior) track called "Bonny". In my opinion, better lyrics, better composition and an overall better message.
I may just post the whole album at a later date.

HIGHLIGHT TRACKS:
"When Love Breaks Down"
"If You Don't Love Me"
"Wild Horses"
"Cars & Girls"

checkit

No comments:

Post a Comment