Sunday, November 21, 2010

Damien Jurado- Caught in the Trees



This is the first Damien Jurado album i ever heard, therefore i think it is a good place for other people to start listening to him, that's usually how that goes. The first song i heard was either 'Caskets' or 'Sheets'. Caskets is a really great song and it'll make you feel cool when you're walking around listening to it. Sheets is a very sad song and will make you want to sit down. These are the two types of songs that are on this album, cool ones and sad ones.

It's really important to me for songs to make sense lyrically, i don't know why. They should make sense or at least have some kind of beauty to the way they're organized or presented. There are lyrics on this album that still manage to stick little barbs in my heart.

"I'll be right outside, floating by like a paper kite."

"Is he still coming around like an injured bird, needing a nest?"

I'm pretty sure I've had tears come out of my face from listening to some of these songs. I think Damien is a really excellent songwriter, and i think this album is one of his best ones. This part might sound kind of silly, but i feel like Damien's lyrics come from real places and emotions. As opposed to fake emotions? I don't know, man. I think sometimes songs can be made up of bullshit or whatever, and this guy just seems to me like he's "really been there." Heartbreaking songs seem kind of hard to write without having them sound corny, but Damien has nailed it.

Because i draw people, i like to look at pictures of people's faces, i have a collection of photos of faces that i like. It's hard for me to find any photographs of Damien smiling, the most that you'll get is a sort of tightening of his lips, i don't think his face is made for it.


Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment