Friday, December 17, 2010

Low - Christmas


I was supposed to see this band last tuesday, but some shitty shit happened and i ended up missing it. It was a major bummer, they're one of my favorite bands and they were going to be playing Christmas songs along with their original stuff. I wanted to wait until after the show to post this so i could have more to talk about, but hey there's always next year. This is a really beautiful and really haunting Christmas album. Their cover of 'Blue Christmas' somehow makes the song even more lonely sounding. If you're having a lonely Christmas, i think this one is for you. It's not depressing lonely though, it's like simple lonely, Charlie Brown lonely. And again, really beautiful. 'Just Like Christmas' isn't really lonely though, it's actually a pretty fun song. The original stuff on here is really great too, 'Long Way Around the Sea' might be my favorite. I think only a band of true believers can be so inspired by the holiday to make songs of their own.

Christmas is a weird holiday for me. I've never even touched a bible but i still really enjoy this time of year. It might just be nostalgia but i still really enjoy waking up in the morning and opening presents and handing them out and drinking hot chocolate. On top of this i just plain love winter. It just makes me feel good in ways i don't really understand. Christmas songs are a part of this good feeling.

The members of Low are Mormon so the covered songs on here actually mean something to them i assume, and they've probably heard them their whole lives. I've heard them my whole life as well, but i most likely associate them with different things than they do. Maybe some of the things overlap.


"If you were born today
We'd kill you by age eight"


I wish it snowed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment